Last updated on November 3rd, 2023 at 02:00 pm
In this guide, I’m going to show you how to remove the speed limiter on your electric bike.
- 🚴♂️ Understanding e-bike speed limiters: A speed limiter is a built-in safety measure to control the maximum speed of an e-bike. You can either use a programming cable, install a new controller, modify the sensor, or have a professional remove it to bypass this limit.
- ⚠️ Risks and legality: Removing the speed limiter can have legal implications and may void your warranty depending on the manufacturer’s policy and local laws and regulations. It can also pose safety risks if the bike is used irresponsibly at high speeds.
- 🔧 DIY or professional help: Depending on the bike’s model and design, either you can remove the limiter yourself or may require professional help. This process does not directly damage the e-bike but needs to be done carefully.
Table of Contents
Understanding the Speed Limiter: What Is It?
It’s a safety mechanism that electric bike manufacturers put in place to limit the maximum speed of the bike. While this may be a good thing for beginners or those who prefer a more leisurely ride, it can be frustrating for those who want to push their e-bike to the limit.
Also Read: Microshift Vs Shimano (Detailed Comparison)
How to Remove Speed Limiter on Electric Bike: Tips and Tricks
Here are some useful techniques that can help you disable the speed limiter on your e-bike:
- Use a programming cable: If your electric bike comes with a programming cable, you can use it to access the e-bike’s computer and modify the settings. By changing the speed limit settings, you can effectively bypass the speed limiter.
- Install a new controller: Another effective way to remove the speed limiter on your electric bike is to install a new controller. A new controller with higher voltage and current ratings can allow the e-bike to run faster and more efficiently, effectively disabling the speed limiter.
- Modify the sensor: The speed limiter on an electric bike usually works by monitoring the rotation of the bike’s pedals. By modifying the sensor or replacing it with a more sensitive one, you may be able to trick the system and disable the speed limiter.
- Get a professional to do it: If you’re not comfortable with tinkering with your e-bike’s computer, you can always take it to a professional to have the speed limiter removed. This may cost you some money, but it’s a safer and more reliable option than DIY methods.
Remember to always prioritize safety and be mindful of local laws and regulations regarding speed limits.
Are there any risks involved in removing the speed limiter?
Yes, removing the speed limiter on your electric bike can have certain risks. It’s important to understand that by doing so, you may be operating your bike outside of legal limits and potentially compromising your safety. Make sure to consider the consequences and ride responsibly.
Will removing the speed limiter void my bike’s warranty?
It depends on the manufacturer and their specific warranty terms. Some manufacturers may consider any modifications to the bike, including speed limiter removal, as a violation of the warranty. It’s best to consult your bike’s documentation or contact the manufacturer directly for clarification.
Are there any legal implications for removing the speed limiter?
The legality of removing the speed limiter on your electric bike varies by jurisdiction. It’s important to familiarize yourself with local laws and regulations regarding e-bike speed limits. Unauthorized modifications to the speed limiter may result in fines or legal consequences, so it’s crucial to ride within legal limits.
Also Read: Jagwire Vs Shimano Cables (Compared)
Can I remove the speed limiter myself, or do I need professional assistance?
The ability to remove the speed limiter on your electric bike will depend on the specific model and its design. Some bikes may have a more straightforward process that can be done by the rider, while others may require professional assistance or specialized tools.
Can removing the speed limiter damage my electric bike?
Removing the speed limiter itself is unlikely to cause direct damage to your electric bike.
Also Read: 8 Bike Handlebar Tape Alternatives
Removing the speed limiter on your electric bike can be an exciting and rewarding experience. It can give you the freedom to ride at higher speeds and enjoy a more exhilarating ride.